Taking Forest School to the Beach
This training is for anyone who works with, or wants to work with, groups outdoors. It is expected that participants will have an understanding of the Forest School ethos to learning – if you are not trained in Forest School you please read up about the ethos beforehand.
The course will explore how to take the ethos of Forest School to the beach; including how to facilitate participant-led learning, outdoor play and inspire awe and wonder in the natural world.
Specifically, this one-day course will cover:
- How to stay safe on the beach – understanding tides, risk assessment, equipment and boundaries.
- Plant and Animal identification – rock pooling and beach combing.
- How to facilitate beach art and deepen understanding of sustainability issues e.g. plastics
- Shelter building on the beach.
- How to meet learning and development aims and link with school curriculum
About the trainer
Our very own Ariel, Steph brings fun along with a wealth of knowledge and experience to our shoreline learning. Beach School qualified, Dr of Zoology and half mermaid, Steph has worked with 2 year olds to adults – starting as an early years teacher, she set up outdoor learning in schools, trained as a Forest School leader 12 years ago and now trains Level 3 learners. When not in the woods Steph can be found sea swimming, gig rowing and riding horses.
Next course dates tbc